Following Tiger Woods’ historical comeback during the Masters Tournament in April and the PGA Championship happening earlier this month, Aussie golf lovers are waiting with bated breath for the upcoming season, with the US Open and Open Championship just around the corner.
While there’s nothing quite like hitting the green at the local golf club, there are some people around the world who are fortunate enough to have their own golf holes in their backyard. From millionaire backyards to simple putting in greens for families, here are 6 backyards that will make you wish you could tee off at home.
1. Dave Pelz’ practice green in Austin, Texas
American golf coach and short game expert Dave Pelz knows how to create a stunning practice facility in his home in Texas. This outdoor area includes a replica of the Par 3 17th hole at the TPC Sawgrass course in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida, as well as a replica of the 12th hole at the Augusta National Golf Club.
2. Mike Fascitelli’s private seaside course in Connecticut
[Image link: https://media.golfdigest.com/photos/55ad8e2eadd713143b42e29d/master/w_1200,h_800,c_limit/courses-2010-11-cosl_backyard_guilford02.jpg] It seems memberships to multiple prestigious golf clubs aren’t quite enough for the President of Vornado Realty, Mike Fascitelli. On top of his spectacular mansion, Fascitelli also built an incredible seaside golf course in his backyard in Guilford, Connecticut, complete with five tees - two of which stretch out into the Long Island Sound.
3. Matt Keller’s inspirational backyard in Arizona
As the Head PGA Golf Professional at the Regents’ Glen Country Club, it’s no surprise that Matt Keller has some amazing backyard ideas that include a golf course. In addition to his stunning mansion and pool in Scottsdale, Arizona, Keller’s outdoor space also includes a dedicated practice area, making for the perfect source of inspiration for anyone looking for small backyard ideas.
4. Billionaire Charles Cohen’s 39-acre golf wonderland
Here’s one that’s sure to make any golf aficionado jealous: real-estate developer and movie producer Charles Cohen worked with a world-renowned golf course architect on landscaping ideas for his 39 acre backyard in Greenwich. The end result is an impressive yard that boasts 70 target combinations, 3 sand traps, and 10 pins, as well as man-made waterfalls - and a price tag of between $100,000-$200,000.
5. John Smoltz’ incredible 9-hole backyard golf course
![courses-2010-11-cosl backyard smoltz01.jpg]](//images.ctfassets.net/j46wqmstltee/1ZSc1TaEcm3ASlSPBcvdjT/edffabce5322c85c36fb9977bae48591/courses-2010-11-cosl_backyard_smoltz01.jpg_) Most people take up a hobby in their retirement, but former Atlanta Braves’ pitcher John Smoltz took it one step further and decided that he wanted to become a professional golfer. To help him reach his goal, Smoltz commissioned a 9-hole golf course in his yard in Ball Ground, Georgia - plus, he added in a few outdoor loungers, which are perfect for taking a break and soaking up the sun.
6. Tiger Woods’ ultimate golf lover’s backyard
No list of amazing golf backyards would be complete without a look at the home of the world’s most famous golfer. Tiger Woods’ home on Jupiter Island, Florida, is flanked by sea on both sides, and has four greens to help him practice in a variety of wind conditions on different turfs. On top of this, his property also features a tennis court, swimming pools, and a gym.
...and a few more backyard landscaping ideas for golf lovers
If you’re not quite ready to invest in a full golf course in your backyard, there are still a couple of things you can do to bring the green into your outdoor space this winter:
- Incorporate artificial turf for backyard games. While lush backyards look incredible, they require a lot of maintenance - plus, when it rains, it can get muddy and be difficult for the little ones to play outside. A section of artificial turf in your yard is a great solution, especially if you want to do mini golf or other outdoor games for kids over winter.
- Install a mini practice green in your backyard. You don’t necessarily have to pour hundreds of thousands into a 9-hole course - instead, take a leaf out of David Pelz’ backyard design ideas and incorporate some smaller putting greens into your outdoor space.
As one of the best outdoor games for adults and kids alike, golf is a sport that can be enjoyed no matter where you are - and bringing a little bit of the turf into your yard is easier than you think.