Is Christmas a good time to buy or sell?
Over the festive season, the property market typically slows down, leaving many homeowners to believe that it’s a buyer’s market. However, there are still plenty of advantages of selling your home over Christmas - as long as it’s done well.
If you’re looking to sell your home over the silly season, here are some tips to help you get it right.
Advantages of selling your home over Christmas
Because the market is seen to slow down over the break, is selling property over Christmas a good idea? In fact, there are plenty of advantages to selling your property over the Christmas period.
- Less competition. There are less homes on the market during December and January, which means less listings to compete with. As long as your property is strategically priced, your listing is well-marketed, and your house looks great, there’s a good chance that you’ll be able to stand out from the pack during this time.
- Get serious buyers. Because the festive season is typically a slower time for the property market, buyers on the property market are usually more serious – which is good news for you as a seller. Not only will you encounter less people who are ‘just looking’ or have more time to shop around; you’ll also have higher chances of securing a quick sale.
- Great opportunity for showing your house. The festive season also coincides with the summer season, which means the weather is great, flowers are in full bloom, and you’ll get plenty of natural light in your home. As a seller, you want to make the best first impression possible, and summer is the perfect backdrop to make your property look great for prospective buyers.
- It’s the time for giving! The holiday season is always a time for celebration and generosity, which can make negotiating easier for both parties involved. Many buyers will be in a good mood over this period, and inclined to be more generous ( “let’s do it – it is Christmas, after all”). Buyers will also be in the Christmas spirit which means it’ll be easier for them to picture celebrating the next Christmas with the family and friends in their beautiful new home.
How to sell your home over the silly season: do’s and don’ts
Selling property for a good price over Christmas requires forward planning, good preparation, and strong execution – and many sellers make mistakes that can cost them thousands. Avoid these Christmas mistakes when selling your home, and follow our list of do’s and don’ts for listing and securing a sale over the silly season.
- Do check the market price during this time. With the changes in Aussie house prices, it’s important to be sensitive of the competition and what’s out there – as well as the final sale price properties in your area at the same time last year. The most important thing during this time is to generate interest, and one of the ways to do this is to have a fair starting price for your listing.
- Don’t expect the sale to go through straight away. Many brokers, lawyers, and banks have reduced hours of operation during this time period, so the process could take longer than you initially anticipated.
- Do focus on bringing the holiday touch for open homes. A beautiful Christmas tree, some stockings, and little festive elements can go a long way in bringing a sense of festivity into your home, as well as help prospective buyers imagine having their friends and family around next holiday season in their brand new home.
- Don’t go overboard. Remove any little reindeer statues, holiday cards from colleagues, or personal holiday knick knacks. While it’s important to give that holiday feel in your home, there’s a fine line between the holiday touch, and holiday clutter. Most real estate agents favour a minimalist design, so your home can be a blank canvas that buyers can picture themselves living in.
- Do arrange your photo shoot before you decorate your house. While the objective is to sell quickly, it’s possible that your listing could be on the market after Christmas and New Years– and photos with a Christmas tree will very quickly become dated. Work with an agent that offers photography and advertising services, so you get the photos right from the get-go.
Selling your home over Christmas can be a great decision, as long as you do your research and prepare in advance. With some guidance from a real estate agent, and strong marketing and staging, your property has a strong chance of selling quickly and for a great price.
Gearing up to sell your property? Book your free, no-obligation property appraisal today, and find out how Upside can help you maximize your sale price this holiday season.